To prepare for cooking the following steps are recommended:
- Wash out thoroughly with boiling water and dry.
- Coat the inside with cooking oil (or vegetable fat) and heat until the pot begins to smoke.
- When cool enough, using a paper towel, wipe inside clean. Repeat until towel wipes clean.
- The potjie pot is now ready for use.
- The more you use it the better it becomes.
After each use, wash the potjie pot and dry over heat source to remove excess moisture. Coat the inside with cooking oil or Spray and Cook. Store your potjie with the lid off and absorbent paper inside.