A frittata is an Italian-style flat omelette that’s baked in a skillet. This frittata recipe features spinach,
bacon and cheddar cheese. It’s perfect for holiday brunches or other special occasions — even dinner.
For this frittata recipe we cook everything in our Multi-purpose Braai Lid because it can be heated on the
stovetop or gas braai and then transferred to the oven where the cooking is finished.
Prep Time: 15 minutes, Cook Time: 20 minutes, Total Time: 35 minutes
• 8 eggs
• ½ cup whole milk
• ½ packet cut spinach
• 8 slices bacon or 125g bacon
• ½ large onion, peeled and diced
• 1 cup grated cheddar cheese 250ml
• Kosher salt, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180°.
2. Cook the bacon in a Best Duty braai Lid over medium-low heat. When bacon is crispy, remove it from
the braai lid, drain on paper towels and set aside. When it’s cool, roughly chop it into ¼ inch pieces or
just crumble it up.
3. Reserve about 2 Tbsps. of bacon fat, and then add diced onion and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes or until
it’s slightly translucent.
4. Turn off the heat under the braai lid, then add the spinach pieces and stir with a wooden spoon for a
minute until the leaves are fully wilted.
5. In a glass mixing bowl, thoroughly beat the eggs until nice and frothy. Add the milk and stir until
combined. Season to taste with kosher salt.
6. Pour the egg mixture into the braai lid, and sprinkle the bacon pieces in as well. Give everything a stir
to distribute the ingredients evenly. This is the last time you’re going to stir, so get it all out of your
7. Turn the heat under the braai lid back on, to about medium heat and cook for about 5 minutes or until
the egg begins to set. No stirring!
8. Add the grated cheese, sprinkling it evenly across the top, and then transfer the braai lid to the oven.
Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until the eggs are fully cooked.
Makes 4 wedge-shaped portions of frittata.