- 1.5kg beef
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 cups either beer, wine or beef stock
- 2 to 4 sprigs fresh herbs (rosemary or thyme)
- Heat the oven to 180ºC. Brush each piece of beef with the oil, the sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- In a Chef Supreme Casserole heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the beef in one layer, leaving room between each and working in batches if necessary.
- Sear the beef without moving for several minutes on each side, letting them brown deeply. Use tongs to turn and sear all sides.
- Turn the heat down to medium, add the onion and garlic around the browned beef. Let the onions cook until they soften.
- Add the beer, wine, or beef stock and bring to a simmer.
- After it comes to a simmer, add the herb sprigs. Cover and place in the oven.
- .Braise in the oven until the meat is very tender and pulling away from the bone. ( 2 to 2 1/2 hours.)
- When the meat is done, rest in a Chef Supreme Casserolewith lid for 20 minutes before serving.
- Add the vinegar, and stir until the crystalized sugar dissolves.
- Optional serve with mashed or roast potatoes.Optional serve with mashed or roast potatoes.
- Add mushrooms for extra flavour if desired.