- 2.5kg potatoes (well-scrubbed)
- 3 tablespoons salt, divided
- 230g unsalted butter
- 2 cups milk or cream
- Finely chopped fresh chives (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Place the potatoes in a Chef Supreme Casserole and add cold water. Stir in 2
tablespoons of the salt. Cover and bring to a gentle boil over medium-high heat.
Uncover and reduce the heat as needed to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook until
tender. A sharp knife should easily go through the potato. Larger potatoes may
- About 20 minutes into the potato cooking time, melt the butter over low heat in a
Chef Supreme Casserole. Heat the milk and remaining 1 tablespoon salt over low
heat in another Chef Supreme Casserole. Keep both warm.
- When the potatoes are ready, drain them in a colander. Turn off the heat on the
butter and milk.
- Peel the potatoes and place them back into the casserole they were cooked
in. This will help the potatoes stay warm from the casserole’s residual heat.
- Mash the potatoes.
- Add the hot butter to the potatoes, gently stirring with a wooden spoon or
spatula to incorporate. When all the butter is absorbed, add the hot milk.
- Taste and season with more salt as needed. Add pepper for more flavour.
- Optional garnish with some chopped chives.