Get ready to savour the mouth-watering flavours of baked pumpkin, generously filled with a medley of seasoned vegetables!
- 1kg Pumpkin
- 10 Pickled Onions, cut into halves
- 5 Cloves Garlic, cut into thin pieces
- 250g Corn
- 2 Carrots, cut into rings
- ½ Cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 cup Peas
- 2 ripe Tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 1 tbsp. Vegetable Spice
- 30 ml Olive Oil
- 125g Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- 250 ml Durban Curry Cook-In Sauce
- 10 ml Vegetable Stock Powder
- 60ml Hot Water
- Start with your braai to get low hot coals.
- Grease your Best Duty Bake Pot (#12) and set aside for later use.
- Using a sharp knife, begin by carefully cutting a ‘lid’ from the top of the pumpkin removing and discarding/ re-using the pumpkin seeds.
- Carefully place the pumpkin inside of your greased Bake Pot.
- In a medium bowl, combine all the vegetables and give them flavour by seasoning with Vegetable Spice. Gently toss the ingredients with a mixture of olive oil. Add the Sun-dried Tomato Pesto and Durban Curry Cook-In Sauce to the bowl and stir.
- Mix the Vegetable Stock with the water and leave until further use.
- Pack the seasoned vegetables into the hollowed-out pumpkin and pour the Vegetable Stock mixture into the pumpkin.
- Securely replace the pumpkin lid and then cover the Bake Pot with its own cast iron lid.
- To ensure an even bake, cook the pumpkin over low coals and scoop a heaped layer of coals on the Bake Pot lid ensuring even heat distribution.
- Leave to cook for +-1 hour over the coals. Alternatively, you can achieve the same result by baking the filled pumpkin in an oven set at 180°C for +-1 hour.
- Remove from the coals/oven and leave to cool for half an hour. Enjoy!
Note: There are various creative ways you can re-use the seeds in your next dishes; such as toppings for salads, blend to make a pesto sauce or roast for a tasty snack!