Skip to content
- 1 kg oxtail
- 45 ml oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 375 ml beef stock
- 60 ml red wine
- 3 garlic cloves (whole)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- 10 pickling onions (peeled)
- 3 celery sticks (chopped)
- 2 carrots (peeled & chopped)
- 12 baby potatoes
DOWNLOAD RECIPE PDF
- Heat the oil in a large cast iron potjie pot over hot coals or in a bake pot on the stove.
- Brown the oxtail in batches until golden.
- Add the onion and sauté.
- Add the beef stock, red wine, tomato paste, garlic cloves, bay leaf and thyme.
- Season and then simmer for about 2 – 3 hours, adding more stock if required until the oxtail is tender and about to fall off the bone.
- Add the pickled onions, celery, carrots and potatoes during the last 20 minutes of cooking.
- Remove cloves and bay leaf before serving.
- Serve with rice, mash or homemade bread